Our History 2017-04-14T05:13:54+00:00

The History Of The Met

During the early 1900’s, founding pastors were greeted with financial struggles that eventually forced the church to briefly close its doors.

Those early lessons coupled with a fresh vision set Metropolitan on a mission to forge an innovative PATH that continues today with nearly 2000 members and a myriad of ministry experiences; which include a vibrant children’s ministry, annual youth retreats, men’s bible study and fellowship, women’s literary group, young adult ministry, and several other ministries. 

1917

The Beginning

Metropolitan Baptist’s climb to the top of the hill began in the basement of a small house nearly a century ago.

The Met is Established

Metropolitan Baptist Church is established by J.F. Kirsh in a small North Tulsa house near the 800 block of Haskell St.

1919

Move to N. Lansing

Under Rev. J.W. Bryant, the church moves to a converted apartment building at 1018 North Lansing. Six years later the church goes bankrupt and closes its doors.

1925

The Met Reopens

The Church reopens under Rev. N.G. Randall, while proceeding to liquidate debt, Randall works to save the church while maintaining Pastoral duties.

1932

The Met Grows

Rev. W.L. Anderson, the Metropolitan’s fifth pastor, continues struggling with the church’s debt as the nation endures the Great Depression. Despite the hardship, church attendance begins growing.

1938

A New Pastor

Financial setbacks end with the arrival of Rev. C.L. West.  In a short period of time, renovations begin, membership increases to 14 worshipers with bills being paid on time.

1941

A New Structure

Members move into a new structure, fit with offices, classrooms and an apartment for the pastor.

1969

1941 – 1970

Church volunteers donate hours constructing a 2nd-level structure. Metropolitan’s attendance grows even larger in the 1950’s and 60’s, forcing leaders to plan for a new building.  In 1970, urban renewal forces the church to relocate.

1971

A New Building

Under Rev. C.L. West, a down payment of $10,000 is made toward the purchase of a new building at 4025 North Hartford. Rev. West plays a huge role in getting the build’s total cost reduced from $85,000 to $80,000.

1976

Renovations continue

Updated church renovations on Hartford include a kitchen, ladies lounge, nursery and library.

1978

Rev. West Retires

Rev. West Retires after 40 years of dedicated service ans is called home one year later.  Rev. Henry Collier becomes Metropolitan’s seventh Pastor.

1999

A Met Milestone

The mortgage is paid off under Rev. H.L. Collier, with more than a dozen new ministries added. During this time, church members agreed on building a new church.  Land is purchased on the hill for new construction on Apache St.

2004

Rev. Collier is Called Home

Rev. Collier passes away after serving more than 25 years at the Met.

2005

A New Pastor

Rev. Dr. Ray A. Owens becomes the eighth Pastor. He is officially installed 5 months later.

X